Economics for the real world
Deep historical roots.
The Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison was the first such specialized department in the world. Growing from its original focus on issues of land, forests and farm management, the department is continually evolving to address the needs of students, the state of Wisconsin, the nation, and the world.
Ready for the future.
With research, teaching, and outreach focused on environmental and resource economics, agricultural economics, international development, and community economic development, our faculty’s work addresses some of the world’s most pressing current problems. As one of the top departments in the country, the future of AAE is brighter than ever.
Congratulations to our 2018 Graduates
Congratulations to this year's graduates - we can't wait to see what the future holds for you! Our graduates are moving on to exciting careers in academia, and both the public and private sectors. We wish them all the best!
IN THE NEWS
AAE Professor Nick Parker was recently given an Outstanding Paper award by the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, for work on the impact of U.S. legislation on conlict minerals in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
AAE Professor Laura Schechter's work on sewage disposal in Senegal, together with Economics Professor Jean-Francois Houde and AAE graduate student Josh Deutschmann, was recently featured on the NPR podcast Planet Money.
Congratulations to our Scholarship Recipients
AAE celebrates all of its graduate and undergraduate scholarship recipients for 2017-18. Students received more than $100,000 in scholarships to support research, study and travel.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Development Economics Workshop
Applied Economics Workshop
- February 27Getting to Grade 10 in Vietnam: Challenges from school access, deprivation and the job marketIan Coxhead, University of Wisconsin - Madison3:45 PM, Taylor-Hibbard Seminar Room (Rm103)
- March 5Entrepreneurship Education and Teacher Training in RwandaMoussa Blimpo, World Bank3:45 PM, Taylor-Hibbard Seminar Room (Rm103)
- March 6TBA - Craig Gundersen, University of Illinois Urbana-ChampaignDepartment Seminar12:00 PM, Taylor-Hibbard Seminar Room (Rm103)
- March 26TBA - Nikita Zakharov, University of FreiburgDevelopment Economics Workshop3:45 PM, Taylor-Hibbard Seminar Room (Rm103)
- April 1Location Choice & Access to Financial ServicesKangli Li & Jordan van Rijn, University of Wisconsin - Madison12:00 PM, Taylor-Hibbard Seminar Room (Rm103)